Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Steps to Undergraduate Graduation

Specific dates/deadlines for completing the following steps can be found on the Graduation Overview page.

You will have the opportunity to select your diploma name and diploma mailing address when you submit your application for graduation.

After your application for graduation has been submitted you must send diploma mailing address or diploma name changes to To change your legal name at UTK, you must submit a Change of Name Request form along with the appropriate documentation.

**Note: Submitting an address change through MyUTK will not change your diploma mailing address. You must email the correct address to to update this information.**

Important information regarding graduation deadlines and the commencement ceremony will be sent to your university email address in the term of graduation.

The names of students who have a privacy restriction on their records will not be included in the commencement program. If you are a student with privacy and would like to be included, please contact the Office of the University Registrar immediately (attention: Charlene Ingle), 209 Student Services Building, 865-974-1501, or by email to, to find out if this applies to you.

Deadline dates are published online on the Deadlines to Apply for Graduation page.

Apply for graduation online through MyUTK by the deadline. It is very important that your student profile information is up to date before submitting your application. This includes your degree(s), major(s), concentration(s), minor(s), and catalog year.

You may apply for graduation by going to Academic Resources in MyUTK. Before submitting your graduation application, please view your profile information. If your student profile information is not correct, you should contact one of the following depending on your classification:

  • Undergraduate students should contact their college advising center and/or department to have the correct information entered into the system. Undergraduate students who have other questions, contact One Stop Student Services Center at 865-974-1111.
  • Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for information on changing academic programs.
  • Law students should contact Stacy Lane in the Student Records Office at 865-974-6790 to have the correct information entered into the system.
  • Veterinary Medicine students should contact the associate dean for academic student affairs, 865-974-7263, to have the correct information entered into the system.

You are encouraged to review your degree audit report (DARS) often. The audit will list courses that you have taken and requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to successfully complete your degree. You should review your audit with your academic advisor to ensure that you will meet all graduation requirements by your projected graduation date. You can view your degree audit report by going to MyUTK.

If you determine that you will not meet graduation requirements by the graduation date for which you have applied, contact the Office of the University Registrar at to cancel your application.

If you have cancelled a previous application for graduation, you must reapply for the term in which you will complete your degree requirements.

In addition to carefully reviewing your degree audit report, review all materials sent to you from the Office of the University Registrar. In a student’s final semester, all candidates for an undergraduate degree will be sent emails pertaining to graduation that includes important information and reminders regarding deadlines.

You will also receive emails (sent to your university email address) from the Office of the University Registrar’s graduation staff. Be sure to check your email account for this important information.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact One Stop Student Services Center at 865-974-1111 for assistance.

Participation in the commencement ceremony is optional. However, if you plan to attend your ceremony, you must purchase a cap and gown through the VolShop in the Student Union.

Candidates for graduate degrees (master’s, education specialists, and doctoral) must also purchase a commencement hood through the VolShop. For more information, there is a commencement checklist supplied by the VolShop graduation supply counter in the Student Union and/or go to for specific dates.

Contact the VolShop for additional information. Call -865-946-7467 or email

Undergraduates are not required to pay a graduation fee in order to participate in their commencement ceremony.

If you are a graduating student and wish to participate in a university commencement ceremony, you are REQUIRED to reserve a seat. A commencement invitation/RSVP will be sent to your university email address in your term of graduation.  The invitation/RSVP for the spring ceremonies will be sent to all spring and summer applicants in February. The invitation/RSVP for the fall ceremony will be sent to all fall applicants and summer graduates in October. Those graduating in the summer have the option of participating in the spring or fall ceremony since there are no ceremonies in August.

Diplomas will be withheld until the loan interview is completed. Completion of this interview is a federal requirement.

Type of Loan  Contact for Appointment 
Perkins and Institutional Loans Bursar’s Office
211 Student Services Building
Federal Direct Loans (formerly Stafford Loans) Exit Counseling

All financial obligations to the University of Tennessee, such as library fines, traffic fines, rent, and phone bills must be paid before a diploma or transcript can be issued.

To clear financial obligations, please visit One Stop Student Services. Contact them by phone at 865-974-1111.

You can also clear financial obligations online via MyUTK.

Commencement ceremony schedules (and accompanying information) will be posted at when they are available.

Your name and the degree awarded to you are included on the diploma. In addition, if you are an undergraduate and you graduate with honors, the honors designation will be displayed on your diploma.

Diplomas typically ship approximately 6-8 weeks following the end of final examinations in the term that you complete your graduation requirements.  Your first diploma is free of charge.

A duplicate or replacement diploma can be ordered for a charge of $25. To order an additional copy, complete the Duplicate Diploma Order Form. The form is an interactive PDF file and must be printed and mailed to the address listed along with a $25 money order or cashier’s check.

Diploma frames and plaques can be ordered through the VolShop.

If you have questions, please email

Graduation is just around the corner. Congratulations!

Don’t forget to complete one important step on your pre-graduation checklist. Take a few minutes to complete your Career Profile and let the Center for Career Development know what your post-graduation plans are. By keeping accurate records of the first job that UT students are placed into or of the plans that UT students have made to further their education after graduating, we can help future Vols better prepare to enter the workforce or to apply for graduate or professional school.

The profile only takes a few minutes to complete. Do it now so you can check it off your list and move one step closer to graduation!

An Academic History can be accessed via MyUTK under Academic Resources.