Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transfer Credit Policies and Procedures

Transfer credit of similar content may be accepted from any two- or four-year accredited college, normally institutions with regional accreditation in the United States. Students from non-US colleges or universities should consult the transfer evaluators for transfer eligibility.

College transcripts are evaluated after a student is admitted to the university, and typically are completed several weeks after the student is admitted.

Credits that are not acceptable for transfer include courses that are remedial, occupational, technical, noncredit or career coursework used for the Applied Science degree from career/technical programs.

College level nonremedial courses without an exact equivalent to UT may also transfer with the designated LD (lower division course credit) or UD (upper division course credit). LD or UD courses used to meet specific curricular requirements must have the approval of the college in which the major is located. Students who transfer from colleges that do not have a course equivalency agreement will have their transcripts individually evaluated.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Center evaluates all undergraduate transfer coursework through a long standing collaborative effort with departmental faculty, department heads, and undergraduate program coordinators. This process assures that transfer courses cover the same content and require the same learning outcomes at UT coursework. For college level nonremedial courses without an exact equivalent to UT, LD is assigned to lower division course credit (100-200 level) and UD is assigned to upper division course credit (300-400 level). Lower division course credit (100-200 level) is not awarded for upper division course credit (300-400 level), and vice versa, unless approved by the department in which the transfer course is being considered.

Transfer Credit Policy for Transfer students admitted fall semester 2013: Transfer credit will be granted only for college level nonremedial courses in which a grade of D- or better was earned. Credit in which a grade of F was earned is not applicable and will not count toward a degree; however, the course, hours and grade are placed on the University of Tennessee transcript and calculated in the transfer GPA. Many UT programs require a grade of C or higher in courses in the major and the student bears the ultimate responsibility for educational planning, selecting courses, meeting program requirements, and adhering to policies and procedures.

Transfer grade averages are calculated by UT and may differ from averages calculated by other institutions. All courses attempted and grades earned, including repeated course work, in college level and nonremedial courses are considered in holistic review. The last attempt for a repeated course will be the one accepted for transfer credit and recorded on the permanent record. This information will be used in making decisions about admission, course placement, and other academic decisions. The official grade point average for any UT student does not include transfer grades.

If a student disagrees with a transfer credit evaluation, the student may appeal the decision by providing additional course information that includes a course syllabus, course outline, required textbook, and instructor information. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Center will contact the appropriate department for a review of the submitted information.