Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transfer Credit: Military

Based on the number of months of active-duty military service, students may receive 3 to 12 hours of academic credit from the Departments of Physical Education and Military Science and Leadership. Students should submit a copy of their DD214 to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Center so that the number of months for active duty may be determined. Upon review, students may receive hours of credit for MLSL 101 (2), 102 (2), 202 (3), and PYED LD (5). Credit is not awarded if the student already has transfer credit for MLSL 101, 102, or 202 or through UT registration.

In addition to the credit described above, academic credit can be awarded for credit earned at military service schools. To receive course credits, students should provide to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force or their Joint Services Transcript (JST). Credit is awarded following the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendation guidelines for military course completions.

UT awards LD (lower division) / UD (upper division) credit for courses in the lower/upper level category. LD/UD credits are normally acceptable as general elective course credit; however, students should contact their college’s advising center or major adviser to determine if the LD/UD credit will satisfy specific degree requirements. UT does not award credit for the vocational/graduate-level category.

Beginning fall 2019, students may receive course credit for military learning experiences that appear on the student’s JST record. Credit is awarded following ACE credit recommendation guidelines that have been reviewed and approved by UT Knoxville faculty. For some military learning experiences, UT awards LD/UD credit for learning experiences that match the lower/upper level category. Information is available at

Students who want to use proficiency or other examinations to earn credit for work or material mastered through noncredit courses or experiences should contact the dean of the college that offers the course for which credit is sought.

For questions concerning your credit evaluation, please contact transfer evaluators in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Center at 865-946-3864 or

For questions about how military or other advanced credit(s) could affect your financial aid, contact One Stop Student Services at 865-974-1111 or