Reporting of student attendance is important, as the University’s ability to receive federal financial aid funding is tied to accuracy of attendance tracking. Failure to report a student’s initial attendance in a course could result in a reduction of the student’s financial aid award.
Instructors enjoy two options for reporting attendance, both of which are open now.
- Instructors who prefer to track student attendance in Canvas now have the option to use the Canvas Initial Attendance tool. With Initial Attendance, instructors can simply mark who has attended class at least once in the first few weeks of a term.
- The Attendance Tracking tool in Banner also remains available to instructors.
Both options are now open for the Fall 2020 semester and need to be reported by September 18, 2020 for full session and first session courses; attendance for second session courses must be reported no later than October 19.
Canvas Initial Attendance
- Log in to MyUTK, myutk.utk.edu , and select the Canvas link located in the Top Links portion of the screen.
- Choose your course by selecting the Courses link from the left side navigation.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Initial Attendance and Open in New Tab. This will open a new window that will allow you to select a section.
- Click on the Faculty Attendance Tracking link located in the Top Links box of the MyUTK landing page.
- This option allows you to mark all students as having attended class at least once by clicking the orange Check All button in the upper right portion of the page.
- You do not need to mark absences. If you leave a student unchecked, the student will be considered absent.
Tips to Track Attendance
- If the student is participating in class, check the box to indicate that the student has attended class.
- Attendance and assignment indicators for full- and first-session students should be completed within 30 days of the beginning of the term. Second-session rosters open at the beginning of each new session and should also be completed within 30 days of the beginning of the session.
- If you have no record that the student attended class or completed an academic assignment, leave the check box blank. A blank check box is the same as an absent mark.
- Once you check off a student in Initial Attendance, you cannot uncheck them. Any changes will need to be made in Banner Attendance Tracking.
- If a student withdrew after the first day of class, but your records indicate that the student attended class for at least one day or completed at least one assignment, quiz, or exam, check the box to indicate that the student did attend. If a student withdrew after the first day of class and you have no record that the student attended, leave the check box blank.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.